Planning & Site Preparation
- After your driveway, pathways, shed and pool have been installed, plan your lawn. Sketch all existing structures and design your garden beds and lawn area. Plan an expanse of lawn rather than small segments to reduce maintenance. Where possible, avoid very shaded positions and try to create edges that will make mowing easier.
- While most turf varieties can be laid at any time, spring is a good time to consider a complete lawn replacement as the cooler weather and lower watering demands make the job less troublesome.
- Be sure to select the right turf variety for your functional and aesthetic requirements. It must also be suitable for our climate and your soil type.
- Eliminate all existing grasses or weeds: spray with a recommended weed killer; for couch use Fusilade Forte (Fluazifop-p) and for all other weeds, including kikuyu, use Roundup (Glyphosate). Wait seven days after the rst spray and then water to germinate any other weeds. If needed, repeat spraying and wait a further 14 days.
- Clear the area by removing all rocks, debris, dead lawn and weeds.
- To avoid drainage problems: ensure the soil gradient slopes away from your house foundations or pathways.
- Install reticulation. Test the output and coverage.
- Evaluate your soil type. Heavy clay soils can be improved by adding large quantities of composted organic manure, and possibly gypsum. Never mix just sand and clay. Sandy soils can be improved by adding True Blue Water Saver (page 19) or mixing in a good composted, organic manure.
- The final height of the GOOD soil should be at least 15-20cm deep and 3cm below pathways or driveways. Level off the soil with a rake. The prepared base must be rm enough to walk on, without sinking into the surface.
- Use a tape measure to accurately measure for your turf order. Make sure you order 5% extra to allow for off- cuts.
- Contact your local water authority or supplier regarding exemptions or restrictions, details on page 30.
- Place the order for your chosen turf and turf starter fertiliser (palletised chicken manure). All products needed are available from True Blue Turf. Please ask our staff for advice on any of our products.
- Water the prepared area well to settle the soil and provide a moist base for your turf, 24 hours prior to installation.
Be sure to select the right turf variety for your functional and aesthetic requirements. It must also be suitable for our climate and your soil type.